Monday, July 12, 2010

Do Americans Hate Football?


















That's the question the New Yorker attempted to answer in a brief "comment" recently. Just to be clear, we're talking here about Euro-style footie, not the NFL. As the World Cup draws to a close (congrats Spain!) I thought I'd wind down my coverage as well. This great piece discusses the linguistic origin of the word "soccer" (it's British btw) and general American attitude toward the sport.

Bottom Line: "Soccer may never be 'America’s game' (though it’s already one of them), but America is game for soccer." Sounds like progress to me.

Check out the full article HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I think there is already a substantial "underground" following for soccer in this counrty. Many of those fans probably don't care if it catches on for the rest of the country or not.

    ReplyDelete